Monday, July 21, 2008
You Go Girl!
Who knew a dating blog would led to so many fantastic stories about dating. I was hoping to get stories and insights from other people but I just keep getting more fun stories for myself. So I had a date on Friday and had to miss a wedding reception for a friend that night because of it. I debated making my date go to the reception with me for a minute, but then I thought better of it because taking someone to a social function such as a wedding reception sends a signal to the world that you are more than "just friends" even if that's what you tell everyone. So I opted out and skipped the reception. I didn't think I would be missed but apparently my former bishop was there and asked about me. My roommates told him that I was on a date and I guess he thought that was the most amazing, astounding, earth shattering news of the century. He was so excited for me having a date you would think that I had won the lottery, gotten engaged and been crowned Miss America as well. He proceeded to ask my roommates all the gory details and they told him all they knew. When they got home that night they informed me that he was really interested to learn all about me and this new guy. Well I had no idea that the next morning I would receive a phone call from this bishop calling to congratulate me on having a date the night before. Seriously who gets calls from their previous bishop congratulating them on a date? Oh and the best part about the conversation was at the end he said, "You go girl" I was dying I thought it was so funny, I guess that's what happens when you do something completely out of the ordinary and unexpected.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I just had to say that I really do think the world of my former bishop. I just like to share fun experiences.
I do think that encouragement and advice is funny. I've been included on a list of single girls to pray for by a former bishop (pray that I can find a man)...have had former bishops solicit dates for me. Had family members solicit dates. Been told useful things like, "act like you already have all the things you want, and that confidence and peace will help you", to frustrating advice like, "well, if you just wanted to be married you could be..." What is that supposed to mean???? I'm a big believer in the fact that you could be doing your best to reach your goals, but you can't drag anyone kicking and screaming into marriage! Nor should you! Could be painful for both parties involved! It takes two to tango, just saying.
But, I guess I would take the advice and the helpful bishops any day over the "well, you probably won't get married" statements I've ALSO received. Bleh. THAT'S not nice.
Post a Comment