Thursday, July 17, 2008

Have you ever....

K, I've been thinking, all you singles out there, does it ever feel like there is an unfair advantage for the people who wear a wedding ring? So here's my train of thought. If a person has a wedding ring on their finger the thoughts that usually go through ones mind are things such as; "Dang I can't look already taken, look at that rock....lucky duck, or wow how did that person pull that one off. At any rate that's usually as far as your thoughts take you. On the other hand when you see that someone is single and without a wedding ring there is an instant - how shall we say this.... pity, misconception,tagged as a lonely freak who should be happy with whoever and whatever people can find to set you up with, since you obviously can't do it yourself. At family gatherings you get the "it's OK, it'll happen some day when it's right" as they proceed to tell you exactly what you are doing wrong and how you need to wear more lipstick, do your hair differently and change your energy in order to land a date. You are the lost puppy, the broken toy, the hopeless leper who is just begging for the all knowing advice of everyone who feels sorry for you and just wants to help while sticking their foot, -dirty socks and all- in their mouth.

Well if that has happened to you which if you are reading this and are now or have ever been single I'm sure it has, then you must have a story you are just dying to share. How you were barely 20 and people were already telling you it's OK cause you can always get married in the next life, or at the wedding of a younger sibling and your relatives (meaning well I'm sure) make you feel like a complete piece of poo and that you are now doomed for the rest of your life as the crazy single aunt (or uncle). I know there are stories out there and I want to hear them. I think it's about time there is a blog where people can get on and go off about the crazy things that people say to them when they are "just trying to help."

So please share your best stories and give us all something to laugh at and we can commiserate together, I mean hey we don't have a spouse or children to take it out on, why not on a happy little blog.

Oh and P.S. the changing my energy comment was just given to me tonight. I guess that's why I'm on a mission now to find other stories. I mean seriously how am I supossed to change my energy? What does that even mean?????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, everyone keeps telling me I need to get out there and make myself available. What people forget is that once you are in the working environment it is hard to figure out where to make yourself known. maybe if I drank I could go to a bar, dance club, etc., but truthfully those places are scary and I am sure I would not want to find someone to spend the rest of my life with there.

I must say it is humorous to ask someone where they would like you to meet someone. A couple of weeks ago I was with my sister and we saw one of her friends. Her friend asked me if I was married. I said "No." She said, "Don't you want to be?" I looked at her a little annoyed and said, "Yes." She continued to tell me that when the time is right I will meet him and it obviously is not my time. She then continued by telling me I needed to get out more. Where would you like me to meet my future companion. They think for a minute and tell you "I are sure you will figure it out." They have no problems telling you to date, but no suggestions at all on how to actually accomplish it. It is not that I don't want to be married, but so many people make me feel that if I am not I must have a plague!

Holidays are by far the worst when you just get over with the Christmas holidays, then the next one coming is Valentine's Day. There is no break at all from people constantly commenting on the fact you are single. I guess people think that if you do not have a romantic relationship at Christmas, you will have one by Valentine's Day. My favorite comments are: Do you have a date for Valentine's Day? When you say no, they start asking all kinds of questions. Why not or What are you going to do then? I guess you are not celebrating the holiday without having a date. It sucks, but its life. I am dealing with it, so leave me alone.